Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Power of Nature


In the novel Power, the descriptions of nature are almost spellbinding. The world Hogan describes seems magical, hidden, and wondrous. She captures the essence of a place in her words, using "oni" for wind instead of wind as we know it for one. When we use the word "wind," something is lost from the translation of "oni." She makes you feel as if you're being pulled into another world through the use of "oni" and her description of nature.

There is one place in the world that's had the same effect on me as I feel Omishto has when she's in her boat on the water. When I'm on the beach or walking among the trees on Hilton Head Island, my favorite place in the world, I almost feel like I've entered another universe. The ocean breeze, the waves crashing on the shore, the smell of the salt water, and the overall atmosphere of the island makes me feel like nowhere else has before. I love everything about that island-especially the nature. I feel more at home standing on the beach there than I do sometimes even in my own room. It's almost as if I become a part of the island when I go, but when I leave its worse. I feel as if I leave part of my soul, a piece of my heart behind every time I depart. But it also makes going back even better.


2 comments:

  1. Your connection to the beach and the trees on Hilton Head Island sounds a lot like the connection I have with my high school cross country course (if you're interested, you can read about it at http://sam-samslivestimes.blogspot.com/). Are there specific memories or emotional ties to this place that make you feel so connected to it, or is it purely due to nature and your physical surroundings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture! Ugh I can't wait for summer:) I love that you compared Omishto's connection to nature with your personal experiences at the beach. I feel the same way! The sunset is so relaxing and there is no better way to fall asleep than by listening to the waves crashing against the shore.

    ReplyDelete